Saturday, October 18, 2014

Gluten free is cool?

I recently read an article that caught my eye. This article referenced Jennifer Lawrence (from The Hunger Games) talking about the gluten free diet. She was quoted as saying that the gluten free diet was a, "new, cool eating disorder." Additionally, Lawrence stated that gluten free means, "basically I don't eat carbs."

(Wow! If I'm not eating carbs, can you tell my thighs that? I think they got confused. :) )

Moving on....

Aside from the fact that fruits and veggies in fact do have carbs, gluten free baked goodies are full of the awful c-word, as well. Hello, rice flour. I'm talking to you! In my own kitchen and daily grind, I have to be far more conscious of the nutritional content of gluten free baked goods. They often lack a lot the nutrition one would get from whole grain (wheat) items. Also, there is a high carb and caloric content. Gluten free baked goods are often filled with empty calories, which offset the taste differences or from the use of wheat flour alternatives. Honestly, I really like Jennifer Lawrence as an actress. But, I have little patience for people that pass judgement on something they know little to nothing about.

Check out the article for yourself. What are your thoughts and opinions?

No comments:

Post a Comment