Saturday, December 14, 2013

The world of teacherdom

Teacherdom? Yes, I said "teacherdom." Is this really a word? I think not, but it works for me! Besides, it sounds less haute than saying, "academia." Who wants to read a blog post called, "The world of academia?"


Moving on...

When I became a teacher, there were a few surprises that just knocked me over the head. 
  1. This is one of the hardest jobs I have ever done. Now, I wouldn't trade it for anything! I LOVE what I do and I love my kids. I was just stunned at how exhausted I was - especially in the beginning. 
  2. I get along GREAT with 12-year-olds. I'm not quite sure what that one says about me... But I definitely find them quite entertaining, and I make them laugh... a lot. :)
  3. Apparently there's a lot of gift-giving that goes on at Christmas. I was shocked when little gifts from my students started showing up on my desk. "Gift-giving" is one of my love languages, so this instantly filled my heart! To me, gift-giving doesn't have to be something big or ornate. I love cooking for people to show them I care. Sometimes just leaving someone a kind note, or letting them know you are thinking about them and praying for them can be an amazing gift to a person.
I'm going to share one of the gifts I received the other day from a family. I got the MOST amazing treat, and it was accompanied by a recipe! SCORE! These little things are INSANELY good! They definitely hit that sweet spot with the rich chocolate and almond butter. Oh, yeah. They are 100% clean, too. :)

Almond Power Bars


  • 2 cups raw almonds
  • 1/2 cup flax seed meal
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
  • 2 scoops flavored whey protein powder
  • 1/2 cup raw almond butter
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil
  • Stevia or xylitol to taste
  • 1 TB pure vanilla extract
  • 8 squares Ghirardelli chocolate
  1. Place the first 7 ingredients in a food processor and pulse for about ten seconds.
  2. Melt coconut oil, and add Xylitol and vanilla. Pour into the food processor while it is blending. 
  3. Blend the mixture in to a course paste. 
  4. Press mixture into an 8x8 in glass pan. Chill for one hour.
  5. Melt chocolate and xylitol in a double boiler. 
  6. Spread over the chilled almond mixture.
  7. Cut into bars before placing the pan back into the refrigerator to chill.
Tips:
  • Line the bottom of your pan with parchment paper for easy removal.
  • Keep refrigerated.

No comments:

Post a Comment