Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Yet another snow day...

We are home today with yet another snow ice day. This winter has been crazy! Luckily, I had already prepared to have slow cooker red beans and rice for dinner! I can't wait to see how it turns out. It smells amazing right now! Since we are home, I decided to go ahead and post some more recent recipes! French toast or waffles anyone? Gluten free, of course!

Honestly with as much as a rave about breakfast, the breakfast foods that I like are pretty limited. Weird, I know. Waffles and French toast are not on my list of favorites, but I experiment with recipes nonetheless. My son is a huge fan of them, so I end up making them frequently and looking for ways to make them as nutritious as possible. With waffles, I try to make a large batch at once. I freeze any extras, so we can just heat them up quickly on a busy school day morning. French toast doesn't freeze as well, though. 

I think you'll enjoy these recipes. I swear these waffles taste JUST like fortune cookies. The french toast is a variation of how my mom taught me to make them - which means they are amazing. :)

Protein "Fortune Cookie" Waffles

Makes about four, 8-inch waffles

Ingredients
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup potato starch (I prefer oat flour)
  • 1 TB baking powder
  • 1/3 cup coconut oil (this may need to be warmed slightly so it will mix easier)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 TB Truvia
  • 3/4 cup milk (whichever type you prefer)
  • 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I use vanilla Shakeology)
Directions
  1. Heat waffle iron.
  2. Mix all of the ingredients in a medium-size bowl. Be sure they are mixed well. If the batter is thin, don't worry. It should thicken as it sits.
  3. Scoop 1/2 cup of batter in to the waffle iron.
  4. Cook until golden brown (about 1 1/2 minutes).


Protein French Toast


Ingredients
  • 2 eggs
  • 4-6 slices of bread (this will work with any bread you choose)
  • 2 TB milk (your preference)
  • 1 TB vanilla protein powder (I use vanilla Shakeology) 
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
  • 2 tsp coconut oil
  • Powdered sugar (topping)
Directions
  1. Heat coconut oil in a skillet on medium heat.
  2. While the skillet heats, mix eggs, milk, protein powder, and vanilla extract (if desired) in a small bowl. 
  3. Place a slice of bread in the egg mixture so it is coated on both sides.
  4. Place the coated bread on the skillet. Allow it to cook thoroughly on both sides, flipping it over after about 1 1/2 - 2 minutes on each side.
  5. Do this for the remainder of the bread slices.
  6. Slice the bread into strips (we started doing this for my son as a toddler), or you can leave the bread slices whole.
  7. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment