Thursday, December 19, 2013

Udi's Gluten Free and Chocolate Mounds Recipe



If you are familiar with the gluten free lifestyle, then you are sure to recognize the name "Udi's." Udi's products are natural, without artificial flavors, colorings, preservatives, or other synthetic additives. They also have a wide assortment of gluten free goodies that are sure to fill your belly and soul.

Udi's graciously sent me a ton (seriously, see for yourself) of products to review. It was like Christmas morning when I saw the package on my doorstep. My son was even jumping around the house, because he saw some of his favorites in the box! Of course we had to sample a few things right out of the box! YUM!


I've long been a long-time fan of their products, but they sent me new items that I had never tried before. Goodness - I can't even pick a favorite! I still love the snickerdoodles, but their granola bars are simply amazing and my son finished off the cinnamon rolls. As a parent, my favorite part of it all was that they weren't laden with sugar. It can be difficult to find granola, muffins, cinnamon rolls, etc without all of the excess sugar. Udi's succeeded in making tasty goodies, without sending us in to a sugar coma. I had no qualms about letting my child enjoy the cinnamon rolls at breakfast. We have also found a new lunchtime option. The Ancient Grain Chips will be a staple in our house. These little things come in a few flavors (we got cheese), and are made with quinoa, flax, and other nutrient-dense ingredients.

I talked to one of the teachers I work with, whom is gluten free, about Udi's. She noted how much she loves their products and the fact she has a healthy option with Udi's, as she is dairy and gluten free! Then she steered me towards their Lemon Streussel Muffins, one of her top picks!

After receiving all of this gluten free goodness, I decided to tackle some family recipes using Udi's products. One of my favorite family recipes is called Chocolate Mounds. My grandmother made it for my dad and his family growing up, and I remember my dad making it for us when I was young. I've said it before, and I'll say it again... peanut butter + chocolate = a gift from God. My dad gave me the Chocolate Mounds recipe a while back. I looked over it recently and saw some quick changes I could make to the recipe to make it gluten free and a cleaner treat for the holidays. My changes included using Udi's Coconut Peanut Butter cookies - hello!
 I hope you enjoy this special treat! It is sure to be a holiday hit!

Chocolate Mounds


Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
  • 1 cup dates, chopped
  • 1 tsp xylitol (only add if you prefer this to be sweeter)
  • 1 cup walnuts, chopped
  • 1/2 cup Udi's Peanut Butter Coconut Cookies, crumbled
  • 2 tb orange juice (or more as needed)
  • 1 6-oz package chocolate chips (60% cacao chocolate is the best option)
  • 1 tb coconut oil
Directions
  1. Combine peanut butter, dates, xylitol, walnuts, Udi's Peanut Butter Coconut Cookies, and orange juice. 
  2. Shape into walnut-size pieces. Tip: Roll between hands to shape.
  3. Refrigerate for several hours, or overnight.
  4. In a double-boiler, melt 1 6-oz package of chocolate chips. Add coconut oil and melt.
  5. Use a spoon and roll each cookie mixture in melted chocolate.
  6. Place on wax paper to harden.
  7. Enjoy!
Visit Udi's Gluten Free, find them on Facebook, or follow them on Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment