Saturday, November 23, 2013

Tofu Chili with Sweet Potatoes

Today, I decided to put on a big pot of chili. I love chili. It's so great for when it's cold outside, it's quick to put together, and it's something we can eat on for days. Since I had a block of extra firm tofu in the fridge, I decided to make tofu chili. I loosely follow this recipe. Here is my version.

 



Ingredients
  • 2 packet chili seasoning (I used Williams Original Chili Seasoning, No Salt Added. It's gluten free)
  • 1 package extra firm tofu, patted dry (I used Kroger's Simple Truth brand)
  • 1 tsp Olive Oil (I used olive oil in my Misto)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 onion
  • 1 carrot, chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 1 sweet potato
  • 1 8 ounce can tomato paste
  • 1 15 oz can of crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce
  • 1 15 ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Directions

  1. In a bowl, add chili seasoning. Crumble tofu into bowl and stir until coated. Set aside.
  2. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. 
  3. Sauté garlic, onion, and carrot for five minutes. 
  4. Add pepper and sweet potato and sauté for five minutes. 
  5. Add the tofu and cook for five minutes.
  6. Add tomato sauce and paste, and beans. 
  7. Bring  mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer on low for 45 minutes. Season to taste.
Serves 8



Nutrition (per serving):

Calories: 158
Carbs: 22
Fat: 4
Protein: 11
Fiber: 6
Sugar: 8

No comments:

Post a Comment