Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Eating then and now

Eating Clean

It pains me to see malnourished people (adults and kids alike). "Malnourished" doesn't mean starving - it means you'r body is robbed of the nutrients it needs. Many of our country's overweight and obese population are malnourished. How is this? So much of the "food" available to us is merely a composite of chemicals, flavorings, loads of calories, and trans fats. We are overweight, yet we are sadly malnourished. After discovering this, I began my own journey into clean eating. If you are interested in to learning about clean eating, then I encourage you to pick up a copy of The Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno. These are a few of my favorites. I started with The Eat Clean Diet: Just the Rules!, then I moved on to The Eat Clean Diet Recharged!, and The Eat Clean Diet for Family and Kids

   



"Eat your protein first"

I was raised eating healthier foods than most. My mom was an amazing cook and held high value for foods that packed nutrition for our family. I clearly remember her refusing to buy us "puff ball bread" (cheap white bread) and any sugary cereals. I was raised on Grape Nuts, Cream of Wheat, and Shredded Wheat (plain, not the frosted kind!). She always said, "eat your protein first!" We had a major breakthrough when I was about 10-years-old when she started allowing us to get sodas, albeit it was Caffeine Free Coca Cola 6-pack (3 for me, 3 for my sister). Now, I find myself mimicking this behavior in my own home. Though, I think my son wants to revolt whenever he sees Grape Nuts at the grocery store and knows we can't get it, since we are both gluten intolerant.

No comments:

Post a Comment